Trevor Story is considered one of two star free-agent shortstops remaining in the marketplace. To some extent, he’s in a second tier of his personal at this level. Carlos Correa is the clear prize of the category. He’s two years youthful than Story with extra upside on each side of the ball, and there will likely be a reasonably vital hole in every participant’s respective contract reflecting that.
But Story needs to be in excessive demand in his personal proper. Just one staff can land Correa, and plenty of could not wish to entertain an asking value that would method or high the $325M Corey Seager landed from the Rangers. Story’s the one different shortstop nonetheless in the marketplace who’s prone to supply above-average manufacturing for the following few seasons.
Let’s check out some potential suitors and attempt to peg Story’s likeliest touchdown spot. Just a few golf equipment are such longshots they solely warrant cursory point out. The Orioles, Pirates and D-Backs aren’t within the type of aggressive window that implies they’d make this sort of splash. The A’s and Reds are far likelier to chop payroll than make a nine-figure funding. The Rays, Brewers and Royals don’t sometimes spend at this stage and have an abundance of infielders anyhow. The Rangers have already signed each Seager and Marcus Semien within the center infield and have Josh Jung approaching at third base.
Which groups make extra sense?
Golf equipment With Infield Alternative And Recognized Curiosity
- Mariners — Jon Heyman of the MLB Community indicated previous to the lockout that the Mariners had put a suggestion on the desk to Story. Seattle’s recognized to be pursuing infielders, and whereas they might roll with a bunch of Ty France, Adam Frazier, J.P. Crawford and Abraham Toro, including Story can be a pleasant increase on each side of the ball. President of baseball operations Jerry Dipoto has been adamant about holding Crawford at shortstop, but when Story’s amenable, he may slide to second base and push Frazier and/or Toro into roving utility roles.
- Astros — The Astros are dealing with Correa’s potential departure and have Aledmys Díaz as their high in-house possibility at shortstop. Prime prospect Jeremy Peña isn’t far off big-league readiness, however Houston’s a win-now membership with out many vacancies on the roster. Apart from maybe left-handed reduction, shortstop is the one actual query mark. Signing Story would reaffirm their place as among the finest groups within the sport, and Heyman reported they’ve proven some curiosity.
- Purple Sox — Heyman additionally reported the Purple Sox had expressed curiosity with Story’s camp. Xander Bogaerts is a star, however he can choose out of his present contract after subsequent season. Boston additionally has some uncertainty at second base, and both of Story or Bogaerts may slide to the opposite aspect of the diamond. As with Houston, this can be a big-market staff that wasn’t removed from a championship final 12 months.
Strong Speculative Suits
- Angels — The Angels in-house shortstop choices (Tyler Wade, Luis Rengifo, Jack Mayfield and Andrew Velazquez) aren’t sufficient for a hopeful contender. Los Angeles already has just a few long-term investments for place gamers on the books, and so they should still wish to add one other arm or two on the pitching workers. Locking in some certainty within the center infield is a necessity, although, and Story matches the invoice.
- Blue Jays — The Jays have Bo Bichette at shortstop, however they’re dealing with some questions at each second and third base. They signed Semien to maneuver off shortstop final winter; would possibly they take into account the same tack with Story? There appears to be some payroll flexibility with which to work, as Toronto made a run at Seager earlier than he landed in Texas.
- Cardinals — The Cardinals may attempt to improve over the Paul DeJong/Edmundo Sosa pairing at shortstop. That’s significantly true if DeJong finally ends up traded. So far within the winter, although, there hasn’t been a lot indication that’s a precedence for St. Louis. The Cardinals appear more interested in upgrading the bullpen and maybe including to the DH combine.
- Cubs — The Cubs have been tied to Correa for a lot of the winter. They’re reportedly loath to decide to a decade-long deal, and Story may make sense as a fallback. The Cubs have taken a step again just lately, and maybe they view Correa as a novel participant value spending for. Would they pivot to Story or be content material to trip issues out with their inner choices?
- Dodgers — The Dodgers misplaced Seager and haven’t achieved a lot to switch him this winter. The Trea Turner acquisition eventually summer time’s deadline may very well be the required shortstop substitute, with Chris Taylor/Gavin Lux/Max Muncy logging motion at second base. Los Angeles has been tied to Correa, although, suggesting they’re open to a star shortstop.
- Phillies — The Phillies have query marks in each positions on the fitting aspect of the infield. President of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski has already advised incumbent Didi Gregorius he’s not assured of holding the shortstop job. Story’s an important match on paper, significantly given the staff’s need to improve defensively. The query: will they wish to commit large assets at shortstop with query marks at third base, the bullpen and two outfield spots?
- Twins — The Twins are attempting to right away rebound from a disastrous 2021 season. They basically don’t have a beginning shortstop. Jorge Polanco had a very good season offensively after transferring from shortstop to second base. He may theoretically transfer again to quick, with Luis Arráez stepping in at second. But that’s a suboptimal defensive group. Including a shortstop is sensible, however Minnesota would possibly choose to allocate their assets to a rotation that has not less than two vacancies.
- White Sox — The White Sox have a query mark at second base. That was the case on the commerce deadline too, and Bob Nightengale of USA Right this moment reported on the time they thought of a deal for Story. Nothing materialized, nevertheless it stands to cause they’d have some curiosity in a run at him now that he’s a free agent. The potential hold-up, as with just a few different groups, is funds. Chicago’s already at a projected franchise file by way of participant spending.
- Yankees — The Yankees entered the offseason with such a obtrusive want at shortstop that common supervisor Brian Cashman frankly stated they “have to handle” the place. Up to now, they haven’t. Correa and Story are their final hopes at making an impression add through free company, however varied experiences all through the winter recommended they may search for lower-cost stopgap choices with high prospects Oswald Peraza and Anthony Volpe not far off big-league readiness. Would the Yankees pivot to signal a higher-impact participant like Story as soon as the brand new CBA is in place and so they have a clearer image of the luxurious tax panorama?
- Giants — The Giants have a ton of payroll area, however experiences have recommended they’d choose to spread their resources around fairly than decide to a star free agent. Brandon Crawford is already locked in at shortstop. San Francisco may flip to Story as an improve over Tommy La Stella at second base, however the outfield and pitching workers seem to be cleaner matches in the event that they do reverse course and make an enormous splash.
- Guardians — The Guardians have by no means gone past a $60M guarantee on a single participant. There’s basically no long-term commitments on the books and Cleveland may add at shortstop and push Amed Rosario into the outfield, nevertheless it’s unlikely until Story’s market unexpectedly craters.
- Marlins — The Marlins are attempting so as to add to the offense, however Story’s in all probability out of their value vary. With Jazz Chisholm Jr. and Miguel Rojas within the center infield, the outfield looks as if an even bigger precedence anyhow.
- Nationals — The Nationals have long-term payroll area and an apparent want at shortstop. They may signal Story with a watch in direction of locking in some certainty for 2023 and past, however that type of splash doesn’t appear to be within the playing cards this offseason.
- Rockies — Story’s former membership has expressed curiosity in bringing him again. There’s no indication they’ve saved involved by the offseason, although. Story has expressed some frustration with the group’s administration up to now, and it’d be an actual shock if he finally ends up returning.
- Tigers — The Tigers have been energetic this winter and will nonetheless attempt to improve at second base. After signing
Javier Báez to a six-year deal, although, they don’t look prone to be a severe participant for Story.
Can By no means Rule Them Out, However There Are In all probability Different Priorities
- Braves — The Braves have been quiet to this point, seemingly ready out a call from Freddie Freeman. They’ve already received Ozzie Albies, Dansby Swanson and Austin Riley across the infield, so there’s no actual want. But they’ve been tied to Correa, not less than suggesting some openness to including a shortstop (maybe then buying and selling Swanson for pitching assist).
- Mets — The Mets went hog-wild after putting in their new entrance workplace. They’re seemingly in line to shatter no matter CBT thresholds are put in place, and with that type of monetary backing from proprietor Steve Cohen, it’s not possible to rule them out on anybody fully. Shortstop’s already accounted for with Francisco Lindor, although, and Jeff McNeil, Robinson Canó, J.D. Davis and newcomer Eduardo Escobar are already readily available as second/third base choices. Beginning pitching seems to be to be the larger precedence at this level.
- Padres — President of baseball operations A.J. Preller has boldly struck even within the absence of an apparent staff want earlier than. However with Fernando Tatís Jr., Manny Machado and Jake Cronenworth, there’s already an important infield in place.